Are you looking for a new horse blanket for your noble steed? In this article, we will present comprehensive reviews of three of the best blankets available on the market. Each one was carefully selected based on the many features that they offer, and the high-quality materials they use.
Read through the reviews below to find the perfect match for your beloved horse.
We browse the internet looking for the best of the best of everything horse-related so we can share these things with you. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Best Horse Blankets: Our Top Three Picks
Choosing the best blanket for your horse requires quite a bit of thought and research. There is a long list of factors that you might want to consider to find the perfect one that would meet all of your needs. Climate, in particular, is a huge factor—I’ve written a whole article on it, in fact.
There is a vast selection of horse blankets on the market today. There are blankets especially designed to cool horses down, while there are those made to warm them up. (If you’re looking for something to keep your horse warm but need more information, check out my post on turnout blankets.)
Additionally, there are rain sheets to use during the rainy season, fly sheets to keep insects off of your precious horse, and stable blankets for when they are kept in a stall. Once you know what you need, you would also need to decide what size, color, and style to pick. For sizing, I have a guide on how to measure your horse for a blanket that you can look at.
To give you a headstart on your search, we have reviewed three of the best horse blankets on the market today.
Tough-1 1200D Snuggit Turnout
The first on our list is the Tough-1 1200D Snuggit Turnout. This horse blanket is only one of the many quality products that JT International offers to the equine industry.
Over the past 40 years, they have been selling horse equipment to more than 50 countries. Their products are designed to provide the most comfort and safety for both rider and horse.
- Made from a heavy-duty 1200 Denier Poly material.
- Equipped with an adjustable neck.
- Designed with a 300-gram Polyfill.
- Has a 210 Denier Poly Lining.
- Waterproof outer shell with seamless spine and taped seams.
- Recommended for horses that bite or chew on blankets.
- Very durable and does not easily rip or tear.
- Shavings, straw, and hair won’t stick to it.
- Available in a huge range of sizes, from 54 to 84 inches.
- Comes in 10 beautiful colors including royal blue, burgundy, red, turquoise, tan, navy blue, sea glass, purple, gray, and hunter green.
- Neck adjustment is made of Velcro strips.
Saxon 1200D Standard Neck Lite Turnout Blanket With Gusset
Another quality horse blanket available on the market today is this one from Saxon. Saxon is a brand owned by WeatherBeeta Inc. (see below for another one of their blankets!). Like WeatherBeeta, Saxon is really well-regarded.
- 1200 denier waterproof and breathable outer.
- 210D polyester lining.
- Twin adjustable front buckle closures.
- Traditional shoulder gussets.
- Low cross surcingles.
- Buckles can be adjusted for a more secure and comfy fit.
- Comes in a wide range of sizes.
- Very easy to handle, put on, and take off.
- Some purchasers have said sizing runs a little small.
- Only available in one color scheme: hunter/black.
WeatherBeeta Freestyle 1200
So I actually have a full post on this blanket which I would recommend that you read. However, I wanted to include it here too, since I really do think it’s the best blanket for damp environments.
- 100% waterproof.
- Crazy durability.
- Comfort padding on the chest.
- Padding on the withers which decreases pressure.
- Shoulder cupping to prevent rubbing.
- Comes in a range of fill options and has the versatility to suit your climate.
- Utilizes snaps instead of velcro or buckles.
- On the expensive side – but totally worth it for your horse!
Depending on your personal needs and preferences, any one of the horse blankets presented above could be the one you are looking for. If you are trying to find a heavy-duty horse blanket, then the best choice would be the Tough-1 Snuggit Turnout Blanket. With this product from JT International, you can be sure that your horse is getting the warmth it needs while also confident that the blanket will last for a long while.
Then again, if you’re looking for a blanket for a damp, rainy environment, the Weatherbeeta is for you. I also love that this one has snaps, but that’s just my preference! If you prefer velcro, try the Snuggit, or if you want buckles, the Saxon. My only warning with buckles is that if your horse really wants to remove the blanket, they’ll find it more difficult, and could hurt themselves – particularly if the blanket is the wrong size.
But that said, the Saxon is a great option for a warmer environment, which still provides all the waterproofing you need, in case of the odd shower. Really I love all of these blankets – it’s just a question of your own circumstances!
Got questions about these or other horse blankets? Let me know in the comments!