When I think of Western horse riding outfits, the color turquoise just seems to pair naturally with Western wear and tack. Perhaps it’s because the cool blue gemstones of the same name have long been associated with the Wild West.
Turquoise was also treasured by numerous Native American tribes. The Navajo, for instance, believed that these blue stones were good luck and that they could even ward off evil. As for the Apaches, they thought that if they tied these stones to their bows, it would make them better hunters and warriors.
Turquoise is also a beautiful, soothing hue that complements almost every horse color coat. Just picture this serene blue set against a black, white, bay or chestnut coat.
The color turquoise will give you and your horse a beautiful pop of color without being loud or obnoxious.
Another plus? Turquoise pairs well with show tack that has sterling silver conchos or accents.
So, what are some of the best ways to add turquoise to your tack room and western horse riding outfits?
Let’s Start at the Top — Your Head.
No Western riding outfit is truly complete without a beautiful cowboy hat. And while you could get away with wearing just one year-round, traditionalists believe that you should have a straw hat for the summer (between Memorial Day and Labor Day) as well as a felt one for the cooler months.
Wallaroo Hat Company Catalina Raffia Cowboy Hat
Turquoise blue never looked so cool! The Wallaroo Hat Company Catalina Cowboy hat is the gorgeous color of the Caribbean Sea. And because it’s crafted from natural raffia, this hat is breathable and lightweight.
- Smaller 3-inch brim, which is great for cowgirls on the petite side
- 22 5/8-inch crown
- Wire-edge brim helps you to shape the hat to your preference
- Hidden (internal) drawstring so you can adjust the fit
- Suede and bead decorative hat band
- Spot clean
Charlie 1 Horse Wild Tribe Wool Cowboy Hat
This turquoise beauty is perfect to wear during the cooler months and can also help you to stand out in the show ring.
- 100-percent wool felt
- Cattleman crease
- Beaded hat band with a flower concho accent
- 3.5-inch brim
Troxel Fallon Taylor Horseback Riding Helmet
Cowboy hats are great for wearing around the barn or in a horse show. But there are times when a riding helmet makes more sense.
For example, you’ll want to wear a helmet while schooling a green three-year-old or when riding a spooky horse on the trail. In addition, helmets are now required at many boarding facilities. Fortunately, we’ve found the perfect helmet for turquoise lovers.
This Troxel Fallon Taylor Horseback Riding Helmet boasts the following features:
- Mesh-covered vents
- ASTM / SEI certified
- FlipFold and DialFit systems, which allows you to adjust the helmet to your head
- Low profile
- Hand wash
To Complete Your Turquoise Western Horse Riding Outfits
Nocona Western Belt Embroidered Concho Cross
No Western outfit is truly complete without a belt. And we’ve found a real special one for turquoise lovers. This belt, which pairs the classic look of silver and turquoise, will add a little glitz to all of your favorite Western horse riding outfits.
- Tooled genuine leather with turquoise stitching
- Silver-tone conchos with turquoise cross design
- Removable silver-tone belt buckle with crystal accents
- 1.5 inches wide
- Belt has five holes
- Comes in five sizes: small (30 inches), medium (34 inches), large (38 inches), extra large (42 inches) and plus (46 inches)
Justin Boots Women’s Gypsy Collection 12″ Soft Toe
Of course, you just can’t have the perfect turquoise western ensemble without a stunner of a boot. And that’s why we recommend Justin Boots’ popular and eye-catching Gypsy Collection Soft Toe cowboy boot.
- Genuine leather
- J-Flex Flexible Comfort System insoles
- Rubber soles to prevent slipping
- Square toe profile
- 12-inch turquoise shaft
- Single-stitch welt
- Heel measures approximately 1.25 inches
For Your Faithful Steed
Life is short. So, why be boring? And why purchase tack for your horse in the same sensible colors as everyone else in your barn? In other words, isn’t it time that you stop following the herd and, instead, adorn your horse in these stand-out turquoise items:
Weaver Leather Basic Adjustable Nylon Halter
Frame your horse’s pretty head with this eye-catching turquoise blue halter from Weaver Leather, which features:
- 1-inch-wide double-ply nylon construction
- Heavy-duty brass plated hardware
- Adjustable chin strap
- Throat snap hook so you can easily take this halter on and off
- Box stitching at stress points
- Available in small, average and large sizes
Weaver Leather 10-inch Poly Lead Rope
Of course, you’ll need a matching rope. Fortunately, Weaver Leather offers one that will neatly fill the bill.
- Made of soft polypropylene
- Non-rust solid brass snap hook
- Rope ends are heat-sealed
Mayatex Catalina Saddle Blanket
This handsome, high-quality blanket is a subtle way to add a touch of turquoise under your western show saddle.
- Pattern contains black, show turquoise, soft turquoise and cream
- Hand-woven New Zealand wool
- Tightly woven and durable
- 38 x 34 inches, single layer
- Competition series show blanket
- To clean: lightly brush with cold water, lay on a rail outside to dry. Do not use a washer or dryer.
Classic Equine Dyn-No Turn Overreach Boots
If your horse has a tendency to overreach with his hind legs or you compete in a sport (such as reining) where your equine could strike the back of his front hooves while performing, you need bell boots. Specifically, you need these Classic Equine boots in a pretty turquoise blue. These boots have a dense shock-absorbing center that will protect your horse’s front hooves against strikes from his back hooves.
- Water repellent
- Double hook and loop strap closure that is designed to keep these boots in place
- Constructed of 2520 denier DynoHyde material
- Available in small, medium, large and extra large sizes
Shires Fine Mesh Fly Mask with Nose Fringe
Your horse should be loving life in the summer. There’s lush green grass to nibble on and warm days to laze about his pasture. Unfortunately, flies, gnats and other insects like to swarm around your poor horse’s ears, eyes and muzzle, making his life pretty miserable. To help your equine out, get him the Shires fly mask in a pretty turquoise blue. It’s designed to keep most of the pests away from your horse’s sensitive face.
- Breathable fabric
- 70 percent UV protection
- Fleece padding on the nose, forehead and the seams
- Fringe on the nose to discourage insects from landing on your horse’s muzzle
- Darting to keep the mask lifted and away from your horse’s eyes
- Two adjustable straps for a secure fit.
- Fine mesh that allows your horse full vision
WANT TO SEE MORE HORSE RIDING OUTFITS?
See our whole collection of cute ideas for horse riding outfits:
Discover How Beginner Riders Are Accelerating Their Progress…No Matter What Horse They’re On
Get instant access to The Beginner Rider’s Ebook and start riding like the horseback riding superstar of your dreams
Liked this post? Why not pin it!